Wednesday 12 June 2013

"Gamboo3as Revolution" Why, and WTFatwa?

Asalam waliykum sisters, 




Today is a rather controversial subject that I have been wanting to blog about for the last year. God knows I will have a few "polite" words sent my way from posting this. But, at the end of the day it is my Blog and I am free to post what I like, and post things which I believe need to be shared. This blog after all is another platform to express myself to the world and If people do not agree I am happy to engage in a rational debate, and exchange ideas and views in a nice calm way. I am the same in real life and do not cowardly hide behind my screen, I have had many conversations on this topic with sisters.
Also, If people wish to be rude and insulting then I do not entertain their comments and views, so please keep any rude comments to yourselves. 




Anyway on to explain the title of the post. Gamboo3as means "Big hair" also known as the "Beehive". And it has been something we have all come to be familiar with over the years. We laugh about it, make jokes and even the media like to create charactures of women who wear it, it's nothing new. 
I had forgotten to write this post, but was reminded yesterday after watching a trailer for a new low budget documentary on the subject, focusing on girls in the UAE and the "fashion" revolution they have created over their. 

Check out this Video below to see the trailer, it is in Arabic: 





I would just like to express my view, apart from the religious opinion (save that to later). I am not going to be diplomatic here, I personally think it looks ridiculous and can not stand it, and after seeing so many images of "sisters" walking around like this, I started to see a strange yet uncanny resemblance to the the character in the movie ALIEN. Yes some of these Gamboo3a are evolving into Alien heads (Just a bit of fun). As demonstrated below:






Firstly whether you agree with the hadith about the "camel hump" or believe in any hadith is your own personal choice, you choose to ignore and reject the sunnah. That is personal to you, but I choose to follow the hadith and sunnah of the Prophet SAW and believe in this hadith as it is Saheeh/strong and hence, I am posting about this topic today. The Prophet SAW also warned us that there would be a time when people would reject the Sunnah and say they only follow the Qur'an. Any Muslim knows you can not be a Muslim unless you have both the Qur'an and Sunnah and we are in those times already.  
I agree with the opinion that dressing up, being fashionable and looking nice needs to stay within the appropriate settings such as with mahrams, with female friends and family and with your spouce behind closed doors and not for the whole world to see. 






Here is that famous Hadith that a strikes fear in the hearts of the hypocrites in the ummah:

The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “There are two types of the people of Hell that I have never seen: people with whips like the tails of cattle, with which they strike people, and women who are dressed but appear naked, walking with an enticing gait, with their heads looking like the humps of camels leaning to one side. They will never enter Paradise, nor even smell its fragrance, although its fragrance can be discerned from such and such a distance.” [Muslim]






These women in the UAE that are enforced in some areas to cover in some way and do believe that this beehive/camel hump to be a way to express their individuality. What, by seeing who has the biggest hair? I do not understand it myself and how that shows any taste in fashion or expressing oneself?? I didn't see a lot of this while in Saudi Arabia in Jeddah, Mekkah or Medina. However, I seen more of the "Bangs" hijab style, where the hijab is pushed back to reveal perfectly groomed bangs/fringe.






It is up to everyone as individual to practice the religion in a way they feel best suits them. Each to their own, and Allah says in the Qur'an that there no compulsion in religion. The only problem I do have is when sisters/brothers start to tell everyone e.g Hijab is not fard, Beard not fard, Or plucking the eye brows is not harram. They should be saying "Yes hijab is fard but I do not personally believe in it, and, it harram to pluck the eye brows but I choose to ignore it". This way it stops confusing the non Muslims and other Muslims too. Islam makes it clear on the criteria of hijab and the prophet SAW made it clear on women who make their heads appear larger and unnatural. 

So, if you choose to disobey do not start to make fatwas saying things which are harram are not and suddenly become halal due to your own rational. Islamic law is not based on "I feel", "I believe", it is not based on human desires. Islamic law is divine and full of wisdom. What is today's fashion will be out of fashion tomorrow, and Islam is not a fad, or a fashion statement It is the same laws for everyone for all time. 






I didn't really appreciate what was meant, when the Prophet SAW says that these women are cursed. It is not to be confused with how we would usually use the word as in witch craft, sihr, hassad etc. It was explained by Abu Mussab (you can find his lectures on you tube) that these people are cursed, from Allah's mercy. And as we know, that on Youm Qiyama/ day of reckoning it is ONLY by Allah's mercy shall we enter Jannah. Not by how large our good deeds are. Even if we came with good deeds the size of the earth if Allah does not have mercy on us we will not be permitted to enter Jannah. That is why we are told to ask for Allah's mercy constantly throughout the day. And is why the prophet SAW used to ask Allah for mercy the most out of anyone. Below is the Saheeh Hadith to explain this:


Narrated Abu Huraira (RadhiAllahu 'anhu):


Allah's Messenger SAW said: "The deeds of anyone of you will not save you (from the (Hell) Fire)."
They said: "Even you (will not be saved by your deeds), O Allah's Apostle SAW?"
He (Allah's Messenger SAW) said: "No, even I (will not be saved) unless and until Allah bestows His mercy on me. Therefore, do good deeds properly, sincerely and moderately, and worship Allah in the forenoon and in the afternoon and during a part of the night, and always adopt a middle, moderate, regular course whereby you will reach your target (paradise)."

[Sahih Bukhari - Book 76, Hadith 470]


That would be a huge wake up call for me, and I would hope for any other sister. Because of your pursuit of fashion you are willing to sacrifice Allah's mercy, and therefore Jannah?
Like I said before each to their own, but I strongly believe having a huge hijab is not worth losing Jannah, but perhaps that is just me. Just hoping for Allah's mercy while sinning is a form of mockery of Allah, Authobillahi. So we should do the best to attain Allah's mercy by enjoining in the good and forbidden the evil and not making it our mission to rebel against Allah and his Messenger and divine law. 
There are verses in the Qur’an where Allah gives us clear warning, such as the verse below:

“And whosoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger ( صلى الله عليه وسلم), and transgresses His limits, He will cast him into the Fire, to abide therein; and he shall have a disgraceful torment”[al-Nisa’ 4:14] 

Many sisters says things like, "A little volume looks nice", "I don't want to have turtle head", "Why would I be cursed over something so small", "We should not be extreme", "Hijab is personal", "I wear it to keep my shayla in place", "it looks cool" etc, etc aaaaaand the list of excuses is never ending. 

I am not issuing a fatwa before anyone starts jumping on me like vultures, that has already been done by the sheikhs and scholars across the world and can be read Here and Here and Here and Here and Here. I am just posting Islamic evidence that says it is forbidden and not allowed, sharing information I have gathered over the years, and how I too also had to wake up to the reality and seriousness of our ignorance and arrogance. 


Just for a bit of fun and to end on a funny note:



Jazakallah khier for reading, do feel free to comment, and express your views. I hope no one got offended by this. I am not preaching because this has been a journey for me too and I have been there and done that and came out the other side Alhamdulillah.
But, please keep any rudeness to yourselves. Those messages will be deleted if I see anyone arguing, saying nasty and hurtful things. Inshallah, we can learn from one another and better ourselves and this post is taken as a form of Dawah and learning for us all. 


Wasalam -x- 

4 comments:

  1. Bismillah Ar Rahman Ar Raheem
    Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmathullah wa barakatuhu

    I am in TOTAL agreement with everything you say. However one piece of observation - not scientific, just what I have seen.

    Last year in the smarter parts of Cairo you saw many camel hump hijabs, some quite extraordinarily large and 'exotic'. It seemed in you wanted to be 'smart' you had to wear one.

    I have just come home from another trip to Cairo (end September) and it was very noticeable how few girls and young women wear them now. It has nothing to do with the political situation here but it seems to be that the scorn poured on people who wore those monstrosities has sunk home insha'Allah.

    I am sure your blog helped that desirable change of 'fashion' as did the words of so many other sisters (and brothers)

    Aliyah

    ReplyDelete
  2. ASA I believe in the sunnah and Qur'an but my hair is thick and sometimes not flat. I am nit trying to be flashy just trying to cover my natural hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,salam sistem. I try to answer you. If you had so thick, alhmdlh that you had It. Try to braided It. I think it simple

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with u. You can still be stylist with no camel up hump hijab.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers so please feel free to comment everyone is welcome!
Please Respect the blog and all those who post and read, Any nasty, insulting, bullying and racial comments will be deleted and the person will be blocked. I do not tolerate such comments.
I welcome constructive criticism but please have Hiqma and do so privately and respectfully.
Jazaka Allah khier :)